The face of how we do fitness has changed right before our eyes. Working out regularly was hard enough before, but now with the stay-at-home order it feels even more challenging to maintain (or start) a workout routine.
Here are a few things that have helped me maintain my daily yoga practice while social distancing:
- Schedule your workout into the day. Actually pick a time and put it in your calendar. Making a plan helps, I swear! You can even take advantage of all the free content out there right now (there are so many on-demand options) or schedule a time when your favorite gym, fitness studio, or yoga instructor will be hosting a live workout via Zoom, Instagram, or Facebook. This extra layer of accountability can make all the difference. Plus, it’s fun knowing there are others out there putting in the work “alongside” you.
- Set the stage. Move your furniture around to create a warm, inviting space. This helps you switch gears and energetically sets the tone for your practice.
- Light a candle or diffuse essential oils. My go-to blend right now is 3 – 4 drops each of: Peppermint, Lime, Frankincense, and Wild Orange.
- Use a portable speaker if you have one. Depending on the platform you’re using, I don’t always feel like computer speakers are loud enough (or maybe I’m just getting older and can’t hear…lol) Regardless, hook your computer audio up to a portable speaker and crank up the volume. This helps you drop-in and cuts down on distractions.
- Sip on coffee or tea throughout your practice. I don’t know why this feels so decadent, but it does! It adds a little layer of self-love and there’s always room for that!
And most importantly…be gentle with yourself! We are collectively going through a challenging time right now and it’s important to process your feelings and emotions. Each day is going to look different, so know that, and be flexible (pun intended). The more you’re willing to take it day-by-day and focus on the things you CAN control, the easier it’ll be to navigate.
Be well, my friends. xoxo